Re: Orig tarball naming

On Sat, 17 Aug 2002 17:58:21 +0100, Paul Cupis <paul@cupis.co.uk>
wrote:
>On Friday 16 August 2002 23:27, Marc Haber wrote:
>> Looks like I'll have to say goodbye to my practice of building in a
>> virgin changeroot, or that I'll have to modify my scripts to put the
>> upstream tarball where cvs-buildpackage expects it to be :-(

Currently, I do it this way:

(1) establish chroot of the target distribution
(2) chroot there
(3) move orig.tar.gz to the right place.
(4) cvs-buildpackage -Ppackage -Vversion

>Install pbuilder.
>
>It will contruct a chroot system for you, and can easily build a packge from
>source in the chroot system (easily as in a single command). And it looks for
>the orig.tar.gz and automatically moves it into the chroot, honouring the
>upstream orig.tar.gz and solving this problem.
>
>You just have to copy the created files out of /var/cache/pbuilder/result (or
>wherever) and sign the .dsc and .changes files with debsign.

So all I'll would have to is
(1) cvs checkout my package in the right version for the target
distribution
(2) invoke pbuilder to build in a chroot of the target distribution?

How does pbuilder handle the case that the upstream tarball is not yet
obtainable from Debian (for example, from a not-yet-published
package)?

However, I will probably continue building with my scripts (which have
since been adapted to fetch the upstream tarball from a
per-package-configurable location) since I don't like building
packages as "real" root which pbuilder seems to need at the moment.

Greetings
Marc