Re: developer vs user wants

On Sat, 27 Jul 2002, Michael Cardenas wrote:

> Limewire displays small banner ads in the bottom of the application
> window, and there's a boolean which turns this on. When you get the
> code from cvs, it's off, but when they make a release, they turn it
> on.
>
> The developer at limewire that I spoke to asked me to turn them on, so
> I guess that I should, although that's not what users are going to
> want.
>
> Any thoughts on this?

Our first duty is to our users.  However, if the limewire developers pull
support for Debian, that doesn't help our users.  <g>

I would follow other developer's suggestions and try to get a config option
put into the software so it can be changed at runtime, not build-time, and
then debconf the option to defer to the user.

The larger question is, though, is software which advertises commercial
products what we want in Debian?  Where are these advertisers coming from?
The first porn site that gets advertised via debian software probably isn't
a long way off if we walk down this path.

Package: debian-jr
Conflicts: limewire

<g>

--