developer vs user wants

I'm working on the limewire deb package, and the developer has asked
me to do something that I'm sure users are not going to want.

Limewire displays small banner ads in the bottom of the application
window, and there's a boolean which turns this on. When you get the
code from cvs, it's off, but when they make a release, they turn it
on.

The developer at limewire that I spoke to asked me to turn them on, so
I guess that I should, although that's not what users are going to
want.

Any thoughts on this?

--
michael cardenas