Re: developer vs user wants

Michael Cardenas wrote:
> I'm working on the limewire deb package, and the developer has asked
> me to do something that I'm sure users are not going to want.
>
> Limewire displays small banner ads in the bottom of the application
> window, and there's a boolean which turns this on. When you get the
> code from cvs, it's off, but when they make a release, they turn it
> on.
>
> The developer at limewire that I spoke to asked me to turn them on, so
> I guess that I should, although that's not what users are going to
> want.
>
> Any thoughts on this?

If it's not already configurable in a config file, it should perhaps be.

There is clearly an issue of balance here between relations with
upstream authors and the desires and requests of users. As a user I
would certianly file a bug on any piece of software in debian that I use
that displays any form of advertising, asking that the advertising be
turned off. I would probably be satisfied with a note in README.Debian
about a config file option to disable it though.

--
see shy jo