Re: sponsor wanted

Colin Watson <cjwatson@debian.org> wrote:

> > | If you intend to package software, do you have a Debian package you have
> > | adopted or created ready to show your AM? [...] You may want to get
>                                                         ^^^
> > | sponsorship to achieve this goal.
>
> Note the underlined "may"

Yes, I did note the "may" but was a bit lazy to look around in the docs
where else I had found something suggesting that you need a sponsor
before registering at nm.debian.org. Here is one snippet from the
developers reference that suggests such a thing, IMHO:

<http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/developers-reference/ch-new-maintainer.en.html#s-registering>:

,----
| When you have found an advocate, have your GPG key signed and have
| already contributed to Debian for a while, you're ready to apply. You
| can simply register on our application page.
`----

(where application page is a link to http://nm.debian.org/newnm.php)

So, one mandatory prerequesite to fill in the NM form is to have an
advocate. And how does one find an advocate?

<http://nm.debian.org/newnm.php>:

,----
| Advocate:
| An existing Debian developer who recommends an Applicant. An Applicant
| can only go through the NM process after an Advocate has verified his
| application. The Sponsor of an Applicant often acts as his Advocate once
| he is satisfied with the Applicant's skills.
`----

Ah, "often". Same as the "may" we already talked about.
At least, this suggests that one "often" finds a sponsor before an
advocate (since the sponsor acts as the advocate), so one "often" has a
sponsor before entering the NM queue (since having an advocate is a
prerequesite to entering it, as shown above).

So, Oohara Yuuma's policy not to "sponsor anyone who is not in the NM
queue or who doesn't have a GPG key signed by a Debian developer" is not
what is to be called usual developer practice, IMHO.

> and you don't have to have the package in the Debian archive in order
> to show it to your AM.

Of course. I expect every prospective developer to know about
/etc/apt/sources.list...

> > I'd normally expect people to be looking for sponsorship at around the
> same time as they're entering the NM queue.

I think the docs are at least unclear on the fact that you might want to
apply to nm.d.o in order to find a sponsor, given some of the
developers' criteria to sponsor someone.

--
Florent