nvrec and possible problems?

The situation is as follows:

I intend (am) packaging nvrec (for a small audience at this time ;) ),
and Nicolas is looking through the package to check compliance.
Next to making some obviously good remarks about the format, the
following pops up:

nvrec is dependent on liblame or liblame-dev, which are GPL'd, but not
distributeble in debian because of patent problems.

OK, contrib/x11 it is then, ...

But is this a good location? Can it be in contrib, since it is not
possible to package (binary) versions of those packages:

> Well, I'm not sure if this is good. contrib (or contrib/whatever) usualy
> serves to deal with dependencies (or build-dependencies) with non-free
> software. The problem with lame (and liblame) is different: lame is
> GPLed, so it is free, but it can't be distributed because of a f*cking
> patent...

I could strip it down of course (removing e.g. divx4rec), but this would
make the tools seriously handicapped. If this would be the only
solution, and I hope not, it would make little sense (in my view) to
package this since this tool would only offer about 10% of the full
functiononality.

buggers, why do I always end up trying to package the unpackageble ;)

--
       greetz, marc

BOFH excuse #53:

Little hamster in running wheel had coronary; waiting for replacement to be Fedexed from Wyoming
pgp Key ID: 0xD3562DE1
     Key fingerprint = 890C E47F 1589 F240 9CC8  C60C 510A 63D3 D356 2DE1
Linux mykene 2.4.19-pre4 #1 Tue Apr 2 22:47:06 CEST 2002 i686 unknown