Re: Packages without i18n ?

On Thu, Jun 20, 2002 at 02:45:19PM +0200, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> I'm thinking of packaging wmcoincoin, a dockapp to browse DaCode sites
> news and board. However, it is written entirely in French and is not
> gettext-enabled. The basic functionalities should be accessible for any
> non-French speaking, but the help messages and configuration file
> comments are also written in French.
> Furthermore, some functionalities like "clipouille" and the trollometer
> may be very hard to translate.
>
> So I wonder if such software has its place in Debian. Linuxfr.org uses
> DaCode and is browsed by many of our French users, but is it worth the
> inclusion in the archive ?

I can't see why not.  There is always the possibility that someone will trip
across it, use it, and be inspired to add 118n support.  Besides, there are
packages in Debian already (e.g. dtaus) written & documented in a language
other than English.  So wmcoincoin wouldn't be the first.  Just mention in
the description that it is French only.

Ben