Re: sponsor wanted

On Wed, 19 Jun 2002 12:43:25 +0900,
Botond Botyanszki <boti@mick.cs.kobe-u.ac.jp> wrote:
> I've been developing a Japanese dictionary package for gnome.
> Debian and rpm packages have been around for quite a while and
> it's now officially included in SuSE and TurboLinux, but not yet in Debian.
> Packages are available from the project's site at sourceforge:
> http://gjiten.sourceforge.net
>
> So I'm looking for a sponsor who would upload it into debian.
I looked at it.  Comments:

* This is not a Debian-native package, so you should provide
  both of .orig.tar.gz and .diff.gz .

* debian/control says:
  | Maintainer: B0Ti <b0ti@users.sourceforge.net>
  If you want to maintain a package in Debian, you should use
  your real full name.
  | Build-Depends: debhelper (>> 3.0.0)
  At least libgnome-dev and libdb3-dev are missing.
  | Depends: ${shlibs:Depends}
  | Suggests: kanjipad
  gjiten doesn't work without a dictionary file, so gjiten must
  depend on a package which provide one.

* You need to remove config.status and config.cache manually
  in the clean target of debian/rules because make distclean
  does nothing in the first run (there is no Makefile).

* You should not include INSTALL in .deb .

* Don't compile with -ggdb by default.

* lintian is your friend.

* Being sponsored means you maintain the package.  To maintain
  a package you need a Debian account and you need to apply
  the NM process if you don't have one,  If you just want to
  see gjiten in Debian, file a RFP bug against wnpp.

* README.ja is broken (mojibake).  (This is an upstream bug,
  not a packaging problem.)

* I don't sponsor anyone who is not in the NM queue or
  who doesn't have a GPG key signed by a Debian developer.

--
Oohara Yuuma <oohara@libra.interq.or.jp>
Debian developer

I don't die without living.