Re: How to assume packaging downgrade in hard case ?

On Thu, Aug 30, 2001 at 03:00:20PM +0200, R?mi Perrot wrote:

> > > So how to deal with this?
> >
> > In pram, check to see if an attempt is being made to downgrade to an
> > old version which used the old format. If it is, scream like a banshee
> > then exit 1, with a note to the effect that a downgrade requires the
> > package be --purged, reinstalled, and then a pre-upgrade version of
> > the data files restored from backup media.
>
> So I have to give a chance to the user to make a backup. That's not trivial.

Yes it is, it involves precisely zero work on your part.

Making backups is the user's responsibility. You merely have to warn
them that they should make backups before doing something.

> Unfortunately, even if 'old-prerm upgrade new-version' failed,
> 'new-prerm failed-upgrade old-version' will success  and this will make
> beilive that downgrade is a success.
>
> (Remember, old is newer than new since it's a downgrade)

You may just have to say that all prior versions are bugged in this
respect and leave them alone, but from here on write prerm scripts
which fail in both cases.

 : :' :                         | Dept. of Computing,
 `. `'                          | Imperial College,
   `-    http://www.debian.org/ | London, UK