Re: How to assume packaging downgrade in hard case ?

On Thu, Aug 30, 2001 at 12:46:32PM +0100, Andrew Suffield wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 29, 2001 at 08:44:23AM +0200, rperrot@debian.org wrote:
> > I'm packaging Bugzilla but at now I don't know how to
> > make downgrade possible.
>
> Why are you even trying? Downgrading is not officially supported in
> Debian, there is no reason to allow individual packages to be
> downgraded if doing so would be non-trivial.

Well I'm pleased to read this. But I have to make downgrade fialed.

> > In this case I have a solution, that is, regenerate random password
> > for all user. But I think this is only the visible part of the iceberg,
> > and indeed, that breaks other where.
>
> Gods no, that should be done manually by the admit. Randomized
> passwords should be recorded someplace so that the user can be
> informed, but this cannot be done safely by a maintainer script. The
> only safe thing to do in this case is to disable use of the users, but
> that's still unacceptable.

In this case of old version of bugzilla a user can ask to have his
password send by mail so this would be OK.

> > The mainstream is very active, so for upgrade they maintain a script
> > to update database structure. As I call this script in postings
> > upgrade work well. Unfortunately this script isn't done for downgrade.
> >
> > It would be very boring to closely fallow upstream change and make
> > prerm trying to regenerate old database structure, at least on
> > CVS snapshot.
>
> And highly likely to trash the database.

So I foggot this.

> > So how to deal with this?
>
> In pram, check to see if an attempt is being made to downgrade to an
> old version which used the old format. If it is, scream like a banshee
> then exit 1, with a note to the effect that a downgrade requires the
> package be --purged, reinstalled, and then a pre-upgrade version of
> the data files restored from backup media.

So I have to give a chance to the user to make a backup. That's not trivial.

Unfortunately, even if 'old-prerm upgrade new-version' failed,
'new-prerm failed-upgrade old-version' will success  and this will make
beilive that downgrade is a success.

(Remember, old is newer than new since it's a downgrade)

> Also warn during the upgrade of the package.
Do you mean by deacon ?

Rémi Perrot