Re: package replacement and lack of disappearing...

Richard A Nelson <cowboy@debian.org> writes:

> Nope... In this case, every conffile in one package is also in the other -
> thats why the sendmail.list file became empty, and the package *SHOULD*
> disappear.

conffiles are /not/ the only distinction between removed and purged
packages. A postrm can do other things on purge (e.g. delete logs)
that I wouldn't want done automatically because of a conflict. Perhaps
sendmail's postrm doesn't do anything like that, but dpkg can't know
this. So this decision is punted to the user.

> 	2) Why did the subsequent purge erase /etc/init.d/sendmail despite
> 	   the explicit exit 0 above

This I don't know. I can't get any information on sendmail-tls. Where
does this package hail from?

--
Robbe