Re: package replacement and lack of disappearing...

On 5 Aug 2001, Robert Bihlmeyer wrote:

> Richard A Nelson <cowboy@debian.org> writes:
>
> > Things look good, except that I expected sendmail to disappear !!!
>
> It's removed here, not purged. I consider this perfectly fine for
> "Conflicts" resolution -- wouldn't want the config files to disappear
> due to some automatic action. You can always purge it manually later,
> just as you did.

Nope... In this case, every conffile in one package is also in the other -
thats why the sendmail.list file became empty, and the package *SHOULD*
disappear.

There are two problematic items:
	1) Why didn't the older package disappear
	2) Why did the subsequent purge erase /etc/init.d/sendmail despite
	   the explicit exit 0 above

--
Rick Nelson
> No manual is ever necessary.
May I politely interject here: BULLSHIT.  That's the biggest Apple lie of all!
(Discussion in comp.os.linux.misc on the intuitiveness of interfaces.)