Re: Need help on Unlicensed packages (Themes)

Colin Fowler <fowler@indigo.ie> wrote:
>On Mon, 28 May 2001 21:57:30 +1000
>Daniel Stone <daniel@kabuki.openfridge.net> wrote:
>|On Mon, May 28, 2001 at 01:31:14PM +0100, Colin Fowler wrote:
>|> No Readme - no License - no Copyright. I just took them all, put them
>|> together
>|> Copyright:
>|> Each theme remains the copyright of its respective authors.
>|
>|Hi Colin,
>|I don't have specific reference here, but AFAIK you need specific copyright
>|and licensing from the upstream authors. paranoia was pulled from bsdgames
>|because of an ambiguous license/copyright (it was more or less taken from a
>|magazine article). So, I suggest contacting the upstream authors and asking
>|for a license and copyright.
>
>Ackk I suspected as much - What sort of License do you put a theme under tho?
>Its just pictures - Just so I can suggest to these guys if they are
>confused over which to pick - If they mail be back saying - "Dude no
>License - just use the damn things!" I suppose I can stick in "Public
>domain" :)

In order to say that it's public domain, you'll need to get an explicit
disclaimer of copyright from the authors. (That is, "no copyright" means
that it defaults to us not being able to use it at all - public domain
takes an explicit statement of renunciation of copyright.)

Something like the X11 licence (http://www.x.org/terms.htm) might be a
reasonably simple one to recommend.

Cheers,