Autoconf test for Debian?

Hello mentors.

I've been thinking about an autoconf test I have for checking that my package
is being created on a Debian system. The reason is that I have a very small
set of diffs that I want applied to the package only for Debian, and hope
at some stage to feed these diffs upstream (things like file paths, etc).

My test I have now is:

> AC_MSG_CHECKING(for Debian)
> if test -f /etc/debian_version ; then
>         AC_MSG_RESULT(yes)
>         INSTALL="/usr/bin/install"
>         AC_SUBST(INSTALL)
>         DEBIAN="yes"
>         AC_SUBST(DEBIAN)
> else
>         AC_MSG_RESULT(no)

...and all other changes in scripts are based on "#ifdef DEBIAN". Is using
/etc/debian_version the right thing to do, or is there a better/more accurate
way to determine this? Existence of /usr/bin/dpkg? Existence of /var/lib/dpkg?

Thanks,
  James
--
 James Bromberger <james_AT_rcpt.to> www.rcpt.to/~james

       * *  C u in Bordeaux - 1st Debian Conference, July 2001 * *
 Remainder moved to http://www.rcpt.to/~james/james/sig.html