Re: MD5 Sums and tarballs

On Mon, Dec 11, 2000 at 11:09:40AM +0100, Jérôme Marant wrote:
> Does the md5 sum of the .orig.tar.gz have to be the same as the one of
> the upstream tarball ?
>
> Some people ofter unpack the upstream tarball and rename the directory
> so that the latter comply with the Debian Policy. However, this makes
> the md5sum change. But, in a lot of cases, there are no need for changing
> the internals of the upstream source.
>
> One solution that some gave me is to copy the upstream tarball to
> the orig.tar.gz and the building process does all the renaming itself.
>
> Could some of you give their point of view ?

The md5 does not _have_ to be the same. You can repack the original
source archive if you must, but it usually isn't necessary. There
is no need to rename the directory; the dpkg-source and
dpkg-buildpackage tools can handle non-standard names now
(in the past they did not).

So, just rename the original to .orig.tar.gz and use it,
in most cases.

Hamish