MD5 Sums and tarballs

Hi,

I had many discussions with developers and I still cannot state about
the following question:

Does the md5 sum of the .orig.tar.gz have to be the same as the one of
the upstream tarball ?

Some people ofter unpack the upstream tarball and rename the directory
so that the latter comply with the Debian Policy. However, this makes
the md5sum change. But, in a lot of cases, there are no need for changing
the internals of the upstream source.

One solution that some gave me is to copy the upstream tarball to
the orig.tar.gz and the building process does all the renaming itself.

Could some of you give their point of view ?

Thanks.

--
Jérôme Marant <jerome.marant@free.fr>

http://jerome.marant.free.fr