Re: MD5 Sums and tarballs

Hello,

On Mon, Dec 11, 2000 at 01:53:35PM +0100, Bas Zoetekouw wrote:
> > Does the md5 sum of the .orig.tar.gz have to be the same as the one of
> > the upstream tarball ?
> Aren't the orig.tar.gz's packed with gzip -9? If that is the case, the
> md5sum would almost always change, since most upstream developers just
> use the default compression.

someone gave me a hint that there is varying data in an archive, being a
time stamp. A bit of experimenting with gzip, od and sc yields the strong
suspicion that the bytes 4-7 (ie, the second long) is the mtime of the
original file (ok, this should be restoreable somehow on decompression,
so it must be included in the file, no?).

Therefore I normally choose to manually apply the patch and then proceed
to build the package.

Best Regards,
--Toni++