Re: handling module packages

On Mon, Nov 20, 2000 at 09:04:35PM +1100, Drew Parsons wrote:

> Is there any way I can force /usr/src/modules/toshutils to get deleted?  I
> think the proper way would have been to add some lines to toshutils.postrm
> or prerm to make sure the file or directory was deleted, but I can't change
> 1.9.9-6 now, so it's too late for that.

You could add the lines to the preinst of new versions of the package, so that
people upgrading from old versions will get the right behavior.  dpkg will run
the new package's preinst (which can remove the unwanted files), then unpack
the new package, then remove the extra files from the old package.  This way,
if you clean up any expected files in that directory, everything will be
removed by dpkg (unless the user has created their own files in that tree, in
which dpkg will (rightly) leave them alone).

You can find some information about this in section 6 of the packaging manual.

--
 - mdz