handling module packages

I'm maintaining toshutils, a package for handling BIOS functions of Toshiba
laptops.  The current version is 1.9.9-6, and I want to update to 1.9.9-7.

toshutils includes a kernel module (toshiba.c), the source of which is
placed in /usr/src/modules when toshutils is installed, and is handled as a
separate package called toshiba.  The debian subdirectory for the module
package contains a control file called control.modules, which, when
"make-kpkg modules_image" is run, produces the file "control".

Now the dpkg files status files (/var/lib/dpkg/info/toshutils.list and
friends) list debian/control.modules, but not debian/control in the module
directory.  This means that when I upgrade from revision 6 to 7, the
directory /usr/src/modules/toshutils cannot be deleted, since the
unregistered file ./debian/control remains in place, unremoved.  (This
situation occurs because I want to actually remove the module directory,
since it is now in the kernel itself, but the same situation happens if the
package is simply removed/purged).

Is there any way I can force /usr/src/modules/toshutils to get deleted?  I
think the proper way would have been to add some lines to toshutils.postrm
or prerm to make sure the file or directory was deleted, but I can't change
1.9.9-6 now, so it's too late for that.

Is there any other way I can make sure the directory is deleted when
required, on installing the new version, or will the user just have to
delete it manually?  Should I mention this to the user in the docs?  I could
upload an "artificial" version with just a corrected prerm script, and then
upload my new version (which would then be 1.9.9-8), but that would be
pointless since people would just upgrade straight from revision 6 to
revision 8.

Thanks for any ideas,

Drew Parsons

--
PGP public key available at http://dparsons.webjump.com/drewskey.txt
Fingerprint: A110 EAE1 D7D2 8076 5FE0  EC0A B6CE 7041 6412 4E4A