Re: libmsgcat and sympa : my first packages

Hi,
>>"Raphael" == Raphael Hertzog <rhertzog@hrnet.fr> writes:

 Raphael> Le Wed, Aug 05, 1998 at 02:10:18PM -0500, Manoj Srivastava écrivait:
 Raphael> Hi,

 >> Should configuration not go under /etc/sympa/? I note th you
 >> do have /etc/sympa.conf; are trhewse configuration files supposed to
 >> be edited by the user? If yes, then they should go under /etc; if
 >> not, then maybe /var/state/sympa should be looked into? And I think
 >> maybe the archives should go into /var/spool or something too.

 Raphael> I thought the same thing about archives but I don't know
 Raphael> how. Currently, each mailing-list has his own directory like
 Raphael> /var/lib/sympa/expl/<listname>.  In this directory, there
 Raphael> must be a "config" which describe how the list should be
 Raphael> handled (private, open, moderated, etc.), and a "bienvenue"
 Raphael> (welcome) file which contains the text you get after
 Raphael> subscribing successfully, but an "archives" directory is
 Raphael> created by the mailing-list manager in the same place, and
 Raphael> it cannot be overriden without patching the program I
 Raphael> think. And this directory is also used by sympa for saving
 Raphael> the list of subscribers and possibly various
 Raphael> statistics. It's a bit hard to say if it is the right
 Raphael> place.. ;-) Maybe can I create all the directories under
 Raphael> /var/spool/sympa ?

	Well, I think /var/spool/would indeed be a better place than
 /var/lib/. The dirs created are some what similar to news servers
 creating group heirarchies under /var/spool/news, dynamically created
 as the sysadmin creates new groups (in our case, new mailing lists).

	I would prefer the welcome file and the config file to be
 links to /etc/sympa/<list>; so indeed any user modified configuration
 can be saved by backing up /etc; the actuall mail messages (like news
 articles) are under /var/spool.

	Indeed, Maintainers are expected to modified the programs to
 fit the Debian policy, if that is what it takes.  So how hard is it
 to modify how the program looks for the data? I would strongly
 suggest that you look into patching the program to make it strictly
 compliant.

	manoj
--
 From Michael Davis' article "Thinking Like an Engineer: the Place of
 a Code of Ethics in the Practice of a Profession", Philosophy and