Re: libmsgcat and sympa : my first packages

Le Wed, Aug 05, 1998 at 02:10:18PM -0500, Manoj Srivastava écrivait:

Hi,

> 	Should configuration not go under /etc/sympa/? I note th you
>  do have /etc/sympa.conf; are trhewse configuration files supposed to
>  be edited by the user? If yes, then they should go under /etc; if
>  not, then maybe /var/state/sympa should be looked into? And I think
>  maybe the archives should go into /var/spool or something too.

I thought the same thing about archives but I don't know how. Currently,
each mailing-list has his own directory like /var/lib/sympa/expl/<listname>.
In this directory, there must be a "config" which describe how the list
should be handled (private, open, moderated, etc.), and a "bienvenue"
(welcome) file which contains the text you get after subscribing
successfully, but an "archives" directory is created by the mailing-list
manager in the same place, and it cannot be overriden without patching
the program I think. And this directory is also used by sympa for saving
the list of subscribers and possibly various statistics. It's a bit hard to
say if it is the right place.. ;-) Maybe can I create all the
directories under /var/spool/sympa ?

> 	I do not have debstd on my machine, so I can't tell what
>  debstd may be doing, but I am quite uneasy abot this practice too

For the syslog.conf file ? It allow you to insert some lines in the file but
it add a mark before and after your text in the file in order to find the
lines to remove when purging the package. Something like that is added in
the file :
----
#-- sympa begin
local1.*                /var/log/sympa
#-- sympa end
----
And in the postrm something like that is added :
----
# etc file modification generated by debmake Tue,  4 Aug 1998 11:29:33 +0200
if [ "$1" = "purge" ]; then
        if grep -q "#-- sympa begin" /etc/syslog.conf; then
                cp /etc/syslog.conf /etc/syslog.conf.new
                sed -e '/#-- sympa begin/,/#-- sympa end/d' </etc/syslog.conf.ne
w >/etc/syslog.conf
                rm /etc/syslog.conf.new
        fi
fi
----
An of course the lines are added in postint by :
----
# etc file modification generated by debmake Tue,  4 Aug 1998 11:29:33 +0200
if ! grep -q '#-- sympa begin' /etc/syslog.conf; then
        cat >>/etc/syslog.conf <<EOF
#-- sympa begin
local1.*                /var/log/sympa
#-- sympa end