Re: RF peer review/help/sponsoring: seqcluster

On Fri, Aug 07, 2020 at 02:22:27PM +0200, Steffen Möller wrote:
> > You mention it as "Recommends".  Would it make sense to use this package
> > just with vienna-rna as "Suggests"?  In this case the package could go
> > into main.
>
> I frankly don't know enough about seqcluster, yet. Likely so.
>
> However, we have it as a build dependency since the vienna-rna
> associated workflow is tested. And a build-dep on something non-free
> likely prevents a submission to main, right?

Sure.  But sometimes there are different tests and if we would skip only
one to get rid of this Build-Depends that could be worth thinking about.

> On a sidenote, this
> dependency on vienna-rna is also what keeps bcbio out of main, which
> depends on seqcluster and vienna-rna.

BTW, is it a *workflow* (thus kind of a user application)?  If so the
name python3-seqcluster is *wrong* and should be rather only seqcluster.
We prefix package that provides a Python3 **module** with python3 and
not any package that by chance was written in Python3.  So please
consider renaming the package (and the repository) to seqcluster if
its not a module you include somewhere in some workflow but rather a
self-standing application.

> > I need to admit I have not built the package myself since
> > I was to lazy to add non-free to my pbuilder.
>
> Very much understood ;) I just knew I cannot send this to you without
> having run this in cowbuilder over here, so I had to go for it.
>
> I am happy to just have vienna-rna suggested instead of recommended, so
> I wait for your comment on the non-free build-dep.

Only if we can strip the test suite to not necessarily need vienna-rna.

BTW, did you contacted vienna-rna upstream to free their code and if
yes, please add this attempt to

   https://wiki.debian.org/DebianMed/SoftwareLiberation