Re: [MoM] packaging gjh_asl_json (Was: Short Introduction)

Hi Andrei,

sorry for the long delay which should remain untypical in a MoM project.
My weekend was occupied by real life and yesterday was a busy day.

On Fri, Sep 04, 2020 at 02:40:29PM +0200, Andrei Rozanski wrote:
> > I'll leave it to your preference since I don't mind much.  I guess it
> > makes those rows shorter whan just having names without links and thus
> > easier to edit - but as I said, I don't mind much.
> > > gjh_asl_json asks for as part of the setup. Not sure if the "dependency"
> > > should be a separate package...
>
> So there is need to fetch |http://www.ampl.com/netlib/ampl/solvers.tgz - |https://salsa.debian.org/med-team/gjh-asl-json/-/blob/master/Thirdparty/get.ASL#L6

Ahhh, I was hoping that we will start with something simple but that's
for sure a new challenge.  Inside the packaging process you are not
allowed to download anything.  Code that is needed needs to be packaged
separately.  Usually you are lucky with this kind of scientific software
and so I tried to seek for it by

     apt-file search asl_pfg.h
     apt-file search avltree.h
     apt-file search jac2dim.h

Seeking this way in packages usually reveals in what package the header
files are available.  I'm mentioning this to explain what I'm using -
in the most cases successfully but it has no results so far.  However,
I've got something via

     apt-cache search netlib

shows that this is somehow related to the Basic Linear Algebra system
maintained in the Debian Science team.  I admit I'm not very well
educated about this.  To be sure I'd recommend to ask for advise there.

> in order to be able to compile the program -
> https://salsa.debian.org/med-team/gjh-asl-json/-/blob/master/Makefile#L27
>

> Not sure if its fine to fetch it and ship with that in place. Or to have a
> different package and add it as dependency.

Yes, building a separate package netlib-ampl-solvers (or something like
this) might be necessary - but I'd advise to ask for more opinions on
Debian Science list.  This is also sensible in the MoM project to enable
you learning about those teams that might help you in your projects.

> Thanks

Hope to be more responsive in the next couple of days.