Re: COVID-19 Biohackathon April 5-11 2020

On Mon, Mar 23, 2020 at 12:07:09AM +0530, Nilesh Patra wrote:

> I'm not sure if what I'm suggesting here is useful - but can we consider
> packaging bioconda, or its dependencies?

The dependencies of conda (the package manager) are packaged.  Conda is
ITPed (#926416) and its in a quite recent upstream version in salsa.
You can find some discussion here on the list (unfortunately it was not
consequently CCed to the ITP bug).

> I'm not from medical background, but just wanted to give in a suggestion.
> Apologies is that does not sound good.

I think it sounds good (that's why I worked on this issue) but we have
some test issues which are not solved yet.  You are welcome to work on
this, thought.

> > I had a private mail exchange with a member of the ftpteam.  He has
> > confirmed my suspicion that we can rely on them if its needed but
> > general blaming that new queue processing is an issue is not helpful at
> > all and I consider it a very good idea if we don't do this.
> >

> I was just wondering if we can, may be we can upload packages to
> fasttrack.debian.net as well?

Well, I'm not really a fan of this.  Our packages are low popcon in any
case so they are not found by many users.  We need extra advertising
power to publish this.  The time we might spent on extra advertising
could be spent to make proper packages and as I tried to express:  While
new queue processing is sometimes slow I was always successful to
convince ftpmaster with good reasons to enable some perfectly acceptable
processing time (24h may be 72h).  Once we have packages in Debian
properly some well established derivatives might profit from our work
and the whole Debian world will be provided with our work.  If you ask
me that's a more sustainable approach than dumping half-ready packages
to some not well known place.

> That would speed up the process.
> Again, apologies if that doesn't sound good enough.

No need to apologise.  Any ideas are worth discussing.