Re: COVID-19 Biohackathon April 5-11 2020

Hi Michael,

On Mon, Mar 16, 2020 at 09:19:29AM +0100, Michael Crusoe wrote:
> There is one planned for the week starting April 5th
>
> https://github.com/virtual-biohackathons/covid-19-bh20
> https://github.com/virtual-biohackathons/covid-19-bh20/wiki
>
> We should propose Debian-Med related projects, like

I like this idea and I hope my involvement in the issue in my day job
will not block me to much to contribute here.

> 1) Tag all COVID-19 related software that is packages or our on wishlist.
> This should include medical imaging, molecular dynamics modelers,
> epidemiological tracking and statistics, hospital management, and more

Pretty good idea.  However, we need to trust the readers of this list
(may be the readers of debian-devel-announce or some social media) to
complete that tagging and the list of stuff that needs packaging.  I
can only do technical work.

> 2) Also tag supporting libraries / tools for the above. Should it be the
> same tag or a different tag?

I'd vote for same tag.

> 3) Use these tags to highlight related bugs in Debian

+1

> 4) Make versions of published workflows available using the Common Workflow
> Language and biocontainers.pro software containers (which uses Debian &
> Conda)
>
> What else am I missing?
>
> I've created
> https://salsa.debian.org/med-team/community/2020-covid19-hackathon as a
> place to store notes and other planning materials.

Good! Should we add a list of software to package and once it is done
point ftpmaster to that list to rank it with higher preference?

Is something in the new queue a potential candidate for fast-processing?

> Sylvestre Ledru has encouraged us to post something to debian-announce@ as
> well, but I want to have a plan from this group first. My draft
> announcement is at
> https://salsa.debian.org/med-team/community/2020-covid19-hackathon/-/wikis/debian-announce_draft
> so please help me refine the text.

I hope to be able to do this in the next couple of hours.

> Hope all of you are well,

I'm perfectly fine - hope the same for you.

Thanks a lot for this effort