Re: [MoM] Packaging mindthegap (Was: [MoM] Packaging mindthemap)

Hello Andreas & Andrius,

That's great news. Thank you both for your time. Any other skill now
mainly comes from time and experience.

>> By "are these expected by mindthegap executable when running": Do you
>> mean whether or not they are used within a general runtime for any
>> command invoked by the user, as they are not.
>
> Yes, that's what I mean.  Assume a user wants to analyse own data.
> Would this be possible without the files currently installed to
>
>    /usr/share/mindthegap/data
>
> If the answer is yes, the files should rather go to mindthegap-examples.
> We want production packages with a minimum set of files that is needed
> for production.  Anything else should go to some doc / contrib / example
> package (whatever name we might pick).

That makes sense. Good clarification.

> I: mindthegap: spelling-error-in-binary usr/bin/MindTheGap writting
> writing
>
> I have no idea how this is perceived.  Sometimes I'm in the mood to
> fix even this - now idea about you (but its definitely no show stopper
> for an upload to new and thus I ignored this).

Running grep on upstream src with a search term of the misspelling, I
can see that it is contained within at least one *.c. A patch could
work, but I feel like it would fairly useless so either suppressing /
ignoring the information or contacting upstream would do. I will
probably just do some PR to correct this.

> Users **should** lock into /usr/share/doc/PACKAGE - I know that this
> is hidden knowledge in practice but at least it is documented that all
> user oriented documentation and files that are helping the user to
> understand how to use the actual package can be found in
> /usr/share/doc.
> Users are not supposed to look into /usr/share/PACKAGE since there is
> rather technical stuff.

Thanks. I think it was at around 1 in the morning (a few hours after I
sent my last email) that I realised dh_compress and the pattern of how
files under doc had the tendancy of being compressed too while some
other files were fine. Decompressing via gunzip also came into my mind,
but I was reluctant as I didn't know if there would be another *hidden*
method of calling something dh related. I will further research on the
steps that debhelper and package builders take which should be good
reference for the future.

I also assume that the architecture "all" would also work, for example,
with header-only libraries that only require a straight-forward
installation location.

> I'm really happy that you managed in less than 10 days.  Pretty good!
> If you are interested in continue packaging something that might be
> in your interest I'd happily support this.

This first package has only gotten me more interested and invested
within debian and debian med! I will of course maintain this in the long
run with any upstream contact and any upstream updates and further
patch-work expansions that are needed.

Just a question regarding the next future package. Would softwares that
fall under more of the neuroinformatic sector (even though theoretically
medical related) be strictly suited for a blend like neuro-debian, or
would this kind of overlap be perfectly acceptable within debian-med?

Best regards & thanks to a "so-far-so-good" experience,
Shayan Doust