Re: Outreachy current

---- On Wed, 20 Mar 2019 10:35:36 +0000 Andreas Tille <andreas@an3as.eu> wrote ----

Hi Liubov,

thanks a lot for your comments. I have no idea whether there is some
point in making you an official co-mentor but if you see some advantage
for you in adding you officially that would be perfectly fine for me.

On Wed, Mar 20, 2019 at 10:43:43AM +0100, Liubov Chuprikova wrote:
> But in case there are other unreleased changes in the package (for example,
> you have added new test data), as Andreas mentioned already, you may need
> pbuilder or sbuild to build packages in a chroot environment and then to
> run tests. I am using sbuild, so I put a couple of useful links below
> related to sbuild [2][3].

Regarding sbuild: It is used on Debian autobuilders and by several
developers. I personally never managed to set it up properly (obviously
Liubov was more successfully than me ;-) ). You can alternatively use
pbuilder (which also builds a package in a chroot environment. For your
specific purpose I also do not see any harm if you build your private
packages using debuild from devscripts (which is faster but might
include installing lots of Build-Depends on your local machine which you
do not want. In short: Try to follow Liubov's hints. In case you might
run into trouble there are alternatives to get you up and running
quickly.
That sounds pretty interesting. Another question, stepping back though
(both for you and Liubov):

Is the best way to do everything for the internship (or general developing)
using a VM so that it is containerised and safe? Plus currently I am running
a different distro (ups I shouldn't mention that on a Debian mailing list!) :)

Although asking about that I saw the Luibov's Vagrant which looks super awesome!

> If you have any questions, feel free to ask.
Thanks
SH

Thanks a lot for your help

Andreas.