Re: Outreachy current

Dear Saira,

On Mon, Mar 18, 2019 at 01:59:15AM +0000, Saira Hussain wrote:
> >    dch -i
>
> Sure. I need to do that every time I change something, right? Is it supposed to be for every commit
> or just in the end of a patch and then describe all the changes?

Well, with the '-i' option it creates a new changelog entry or bumps
the Debian revision (in the first line you have
    <upstream version>-<debian revision>
- the latter is bumped by '-i').  This is what you only want after the
previous package development cycle was finalised by an upload (for
instance now in the glam2 case).  In principle you have two options:

  1. Do changes separated by single commits and after you are
     finished with all changes you do
        gbp dch
     Gbp will create single debian/changelog entries from the
     commit messages for you.  There are teams that settled with
     this approach (and a few maintainers of Debian Med team
     liked this as well.

  2. Do changes and for every single change do

        dch "what was changed" ; git commit -a -m"what was changed"

I (and most other maintainers in the Debian Med) team prefer the latter
approach.  My rationale is that it is equivalent to the non-Git workflow
that was historically used and it works universal (=even if you do not
package with Git you have the change documented in d/changelog right
after the change).  IMHO it is more transparent for newcomers who might
clone the Git reposotory or read the changelog in the web interface to
see that development has continued without checking Git log.  Finally
its a matter of taste and my taste tends to 2. (but I'm able to adapt
if you might have some strong preference for 1.)

> >  gbp clone mailto:git@salsa.debian.org:med-team/glam2
> > or in an existing clone
> >  gbp pull
>
> Every day learning something new. I had no idea about the gbp, thanks for sharing.

Fine.  I hope this learning period will last the whole Outreachy
project. ;-)

> I'll try to check another of the open bugs before I can submit my final application for the Outreachy.

Very good!

However, I think there is some work for glam2 left.  As I said you
can see that you the last glam2 package was done by you at

   https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/glam2

This page is quite interesting for developers since it contains a lot of
useful information.  Specifically interesting for you is on the right
side the link called "debci" (Debian Continuous Integration).  If you
click on the link you are forwarded to a page with success and failure
and as you can see the glam2 test failed.  Just click on the link in
the "unstable" column.  On that page you have three different logs and
IMHO the "test log" is the most relevant (just check the others as well)
leading you to

   https://ci.debian.net/data/autopkgtest/unstable/amd64/g/glam2/2129205/log.gz

It has a full test log and at the very end it says:

PASS
autopkgtest [02:04:20]: test run-unit-test: -----------------------]
autopkgtest [02:04:21]: test run-unit-test:  - - - - - - - - - - results - - - - - - - - - -
run-unit-test        PASS
autopkgtest [02:04:21]: @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@ summary
check-no-args        FAIL stderr: Usage: glam2 [options] alphabet my_seqs.fa
run-unit-test        PASS

I admit I ignored that failure when uploading since I enabled this for
one that worked and my pbuilder hook that I'm running before uploading
the package finally made the package pass instead of fail.

I think I will upload this additional change to make your test work.

Do you have any further comments?

BTW, may be its a nice introduction for you to watch two videos from
DebConf17 in Montreal:

   Little bioinformatician's pragmatic guide to internships in Debian
     https://debconf17.debconf.org/talks/148/
   That's the report of an Outreachy intern of her project (with
   basically the same topic).  I'm very proud upon Nadiya and I
   would support strongly if you want to join next DebCond in Brasil
   in case you will be (hopefully) accepted for this Outreachy
   internship.  (I'm also proud upon the other two interns but there
   is no video about their work.)

   Am I really married with Debian?
     http://meetings-archive.debian.net/pub/debian-meetings/2017/debconf17/am-i-really-married-with-debian.vp8.webm
   That's rather a "social talk" but I think its interesting to
   watch for newcomers to learn more about the Debian community.