Re: Outreachy current

On Sun, Mar 17, 2019 at 10:36:29AM +0000, Saira Hussain wrote:
> > I fully agree with you that it is really hard to assemble the right
> > pieces of documentation.  I'm absolutely not proud about the
> > documentation we have and agree that its a challenge to fight the way
> > through.  Sorry for that.
>
> Are there any efforts toward that? That could be a nice outreachy project, to create a better landing page
> (and search engine) for all the Debian documentation.

I'm currently on the event Chemnitzer Linuxtage and I'd say this topic
is the most frequently discussed one amongst all other topics.  The
result is always something "Someone needs to do something" (but this
magical someone did not raised the hand so far).

> > I'm afraid something went wrong with the merge request.  I didn't got
> > any information about a merge request but rather a new branch right in
> > the glam2 repository.  I've subscribed the commit list (for historical
> > reasons - probably no modern way to deal with Gitlab) and got these
> > mails:
>
> Oh I see. That may be because I first pushed the branch without any commits (and I added the commits a couple of hours
> later when I realised that)! Ups.

No problem! :-)

> > Just commit to master.  That's fine.  Usually our repositories have three
> > branches
>
> Oh right, that sounds great!

> > You are welcome.  I hope 'p' is correct (and not 'n').
>
> It is fine indeed (actually for sanity check it works for both).

Fine.  I left the 'p'

> > I've just uploaded your changes which means you now have a first Debian
> > archive with your name in the archive and fixed your first bug.
> > Congratulations. :-)
>
> Oh that's great! I read on some other documentation that you achieve this through the --author tag?
> So is author me in that case?

Hups, I realised I intended to upload but I missed to.  I just did it now.
You will see it at the tracker page

   https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/glam2

after some cron job delayed time (check after 2 hours which should be
pretty safe - I do not know the real waiting time).  About tomorrow
it will also appear at

   https://blends.debian.org/med/tasks/bio#glam2

I have no idea where to set "the --author tag".  I'm just refereing
to the changelog entry in debian/changelog.  If you do

   dch -i

you get a new entry with your name.

> > PS: I've checked your mails in the web archive where these are looking
> > nicely formatted.  However, I'm working with mutt which does only text
> > mode and there your mails are looking quite strangely formatted.  In
> > case your mail client (probably web based) enables sending plain text
> > mails this would be more convenient.
>
> Unfortunately zoho doesn't have such an option (my other email client did). It formats by default
> in UTF-8 and supports 'inline HTML' but that's it. Now there's an option called 'clear formatting'
> that I just chose after selecting all the text. Let me know if it looks different now.

Not better yet.  I'll be able to cope with this somehow but editing
mails takes longer ...

> A last question. I saw that you send very quickly different commits and you saw that you had to
> rename my file to unit-test etc etc.

In principle there is no need for renaming.  I just consider it a nice
feature if all tests that we offer to users as example have the same
name.

> Could you talk me through your process and workflow? Do you do
> everything from the command line?

Yes.

> Or do you get the email notification for my commit? Which tools
> or commands are you using? e.g. tree or git diff to see differences or ...? :) I would like to learn the whole

    gbp clone git@salsa.debian.org:med-team/glam2
 or in an existing clone
    gbp pull

    vi ...
    git commit -a
    vi ...
    git commit -a

    git push

> though process as for me that's a very important step that I am missing (and I believe most people when
> going from the knowledge of tools or programming or a proccess to getting a more insiders experience!)

Hope this helps.

> Thanks again,

You are welcome

      Andreas.