Re: understanding DICOM workflow

Hi Sébastien,

first of all: I don't expect you to work on all this, much
less _now_.

I am mainly asking to further my own understanding and to
assess what I can do or what I need to find someone to do.

> > > Yes. The only problem would be to remove the worklist once
> > > the device has uploaded its acquisition to Orthanc
> >
> > How does that happen _now_ with the current ModalityWorkList
> > plugin ? (without regard to anything I said would be useful
> > from a GNUmed point of view)
>
> The current plugin will re-read the folder for each
> incoming worklist request. It is up to the system
> administrator to properly sync the worklists in this folder
> using system scripts living outside Orthanc.

Ah, I see. So, assuming there _would_ be two REST calls

	submit_wl_entry_file
	remove_wl_entry_file

GNUmed could (would have to) use these calls - if they
existed - to manage the worklist content. Orthanc would use
the worklist content to answer C-FIND requests from modalities.

> (in other terms, Orthanc is currently not a RIS).

Good point.

> > > (which will necessitate a custom "OnChange" callback watching DICOM
> > > files entering Orthanc), or if GNUmed invalidates some
> > > worklist.
> >
> > I agree that there would be a need for a second REST API
> > call, namely to remove a give MWL entry.
>
> Yes. As written above, a HL7 plugin for Orthanc *could*
> also be written for this purpose, but this is probably an
> overkill wrt. simply adding a REST callback to handle HTTP
> DELETE.

Surely so. If at all, and whoever does it, and for the time
being, I would much rather add the two calls

	submit_wl_entry_file
	remove_wl_entry_file

to the REST API and be done with it. That would nicely help
in not having to open another (type of) connection between
Orthanc client and Orthanc server. Which typically makes
things more secure and robust.

>>> However, I currently have no time to work on this extension
>>> of the ModalityWorklists plugin.
>
> You can of course add a card, but be warned that I have
> currently to entirely focus, for my employer,

Understood. No worries.

> Please also note that creating a
> plugin is really easy, that there are many examples around,
> and that full documentation is available [1]: It would be
> cool if someone could contribute to Orthanc by developing
> third-party plugins besides myself.

It is beyond my abilities, however, unfortunately.

Karsten
E167 67FD A291 2BEA 73BD  4537 78B9 A9F9 E407 1346