Re: understanding DICOM workflow

Hi,

> first of all: I don't expect you to work on all this, much
> less _now_.
>
> I am mainly asking to further my own understanding and to
> assess what I can do or what I need to find someone to do.

OK ;)

> Ah, I see. So, assuming there _would_ be two REST calls
>
> 	submit_wl_entry_file
> 	remove_wl_entry_file
>
> GNUmed could (would have to) use these calls - if they
> existed - to manage the worklist content. Orthanc would use
> the worklist content to answer C-FIND requests from modalities.

Yes, that's the "GNUmed-push-to-Orthanc" possibility. It definitely makes sense, and the source code of the sample "ModalityWorklists" plugin can be used as a good starting point [1].

But, as mentioned in a previous post [2], you could also envision an "Orthanc-pulls-from-GNUmed" approach. Concretely, some "GNUmed" plugin for Orthanc would retrieve the list of worklists from GNUmed whenever Orthanc receives a C-FIND command for worklists. I would personally favor this approach, as keeping things in sync would be much more robust (the single point of storage for worklists would be GNUmed). But, of course, this would require to extend GNUmed with a REST call that would serve the list of worklists.

> > Please also note that creating a
> > plugin is really easy, that there are many examples around,
> > and that full documentation is available [1]: It would be
> > cool if someone could contribute to Orthanc by developing
> > third-party plugins besides myself.
>
> It is beyond my abilities, however, unfortunately.

You could try and ask for help on the Orthanc discussion group [3]. Some other people have already developed third-party plugins.

Cheers,
Sébastien-

[1] https://bitbucket.org/sjodogne/orthanc/src/default/Plugins/Samples/ModalityWorklists/
[2] https://lists.debian.org/debian-med/2016/01/msg00079.html