Re: Git repository of htslib is lacking pristine-tar

On 29/07/15 08:54, Andreas Tille wrote:
Hi Charles,

On Wed, Jul 29, 2015 at 03:26:55PM +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:
instead, I used:

     pristine-tar commit /tmp/htslib-1.2.1.tar.gz 1.2.1

As a result, git-buildpackage did not manage to find the pristine-tar information.

This is what I realised afterwards. :-)

In any case, please note that uscan or apt-get source can also provide you with
an upstream tarball if you are connected to Internet.  Since it regularly
happens that people mess up with the pristine-tar branch (for example by
forgetting to push it), this is an important workaround to remember.

Sure.  I'm perfectly aware of this.  However, I always have the hope
that more people become involved in our packages and so it helps if
things are in the order they should be.  Getting a beginner frustrated
if gbp does not work out of the box is not helpful.

I do not want to be a blocker, but on packages like htslib, I do not want to
work with the pristine tarball workflow.  Given that I am obviouly unable to
follow your pace, I will understand if you remove my name from the Uploaders
field and go ahead without me.  But if you do that for all my packages,
maybe you will have too much work as well ... so we must compromise :)

As I said I'm willing to learn and may be I will like this workflow at
some point in time.  So I rather try to understand what you are doing
(and I also need to spend some time into DEP-14) and we might find an
alternative workflow that should be documented properly.

BTW, about my pace:  I'm more and more realising that it does not scale
if I do the large amount of bug fixing in the Debian Med team[1].  Since
I'm currenly at home (this time will end next week) I fixed more than
one bug per day.  We have *lots* of easy to fix targets.  If a newcomer
would try to fix two bugs per month he would make it into the bugs
statistics[1] after one years.  I bet there are more than 24 easy
targets at belonging to the Debian Med team[2].

I think that the main problem is that I did not manage to document the workflow
on time before reducing my activity.  Otherwise, I think that it works fine.
Nevertheless, there may be changes in the future, for instance to harmonise
with DEP 14.

I think the latter should be approached since it is documented by
nature.

In short:  Just relax and care about your family.  I hope for more bug
fixers and will think about methods to strengthen the awareness that we
need some more action here.

[1] http://blends.debian.net/liststats/bugs_debian-med.png
[2] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?maint=debian-med-packaging@lists.alioth.debian.org

FYI, I am intending to write a piece on the d-science / d-med policies regarding DEP-14 and its relationship with import-orig and pure Git workflows. Just need to find the time for it.

Meanwhile, should you have any questions wrt the layout of your packaging Charles, feel free to contact us. We have all been newcomers and are still learning as well.

Regarding your pace, this is something you need to find by yourself. Some people maintains a handful of packages, some more, some less, some focuses on bug fixing, documentation and so on. In the end, "every little helps".

Best regards,
Ghis