Re: "Easy to fix" bug-popping

Hi Kevin,

On Wed, Jul 29, 2015 at 06:24:16PM +1000, Kevin Murray wrote:
> > BTW, about my pace:  I'm more and more realising that it does not scale
> > if I do the large amount of bug fixing in the Debian Med team[1].  Since
> > I'm currenly at home (this time will end next week) I fixed more than
> > one bug per day.  We have *lots* of easy to fix targets.  If a newcomer
> > would try to fix two bugs per month he would make it into the bugs
> > statistics[1] after one years.  I bet there are more than 24 easy
> > targets at belonging to the Debian Med team[2].
>
> Sorry for hijacking the thread.

My mail was *intended* to get the thread hijacked. ;-)

> I'm keen to get a bit further involved in Debian in general, and Debian Med in
> specific. Is there some list you have of "easy to fix" bugs which you would
> like assistance with? As a PhD student I don't have heaps of time, but enough
> to fix a bug or two a month ;).

Cool.  It is hard to tell what bug looks simple to you personally.  Best
targets for beginners are most probably bugs that are tagged "Patch
Available".  May be you also look for packages you are frequently using.

I also think that most of the bugs with [Mayhem] in the subject are
pretty easy for a decent C programmer since it is basically checking
command line arguments before using them.

I'm sure you will find a target for you when having a 1-2 minutes look
at

   https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?maint=debian-med-packaging@lists.alioth.debian.org

BTW, while the bugs with higher priority are surely be more honest I
think any bug should be dealt with - so don't mind if you start with
something that looks "unimportant".

Feel free to discuss things in the bug log (by answering to
<bugid>@bugs.debian.org).  These mails are CCed to the maintainer which
is our development list.

Thanks a lot for your offer to help