Re: Git repository of htslib is lacking pristine-tar

Hi Charles,

On Wed, Jul 29, 2015 at 03:26:55PM +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:
> instead, I used:
>
>     pristine-tar commit /tmp/htslib-1.2.1.tar.gz 1.2.1
>
> As a result, git-buildpackage did not manage to find the pristine-tar information.

This is what I realised afterwards. :-)

> In any case, please note that uscan or apt-get source can also provide you with
> an upstream tarball if you are connected to Internet.  Since it regularly
> happens that people mess up with the pristine-tar branch (for example by
> forgetting to push it), this is an important workaround to remember.

Sure.  I'm perfectly aware of this.  However, I always have the hope
that more people become involved in our packages and so it helps if
things are in the order they should be.  Getting a beginner frustrated
if gbp does not work out of the box is not helpful.

> I do not want to be a blocker, but on packages like htslib, I do not want to
> work with the pristine tarball workflow.  Given that I am obviouly unable to
> follow your pace, I will understand if you remove my name from the Uploaders
> field and go ahead without me.  But if you do that for all my packages,
> maybe you will have too much work as well ... so we must compromise :)

As I said I'm willing to learn and may be I will like this workflow at
some point in time.  So I rather try to understand what you are doing
(and I also need to spend some time into DEP-14) and we might find an
alternative workflow that should be documented properly.

BTW, about my pace:  I'm more and more realising that it does not scale
if I do the large amount of bug fixing in the Debian Med team[1].  Since
I'm currenly at home (this time will end next week) I fixed more than
one bug per day.  We have *lots* of easy to fix targets.  If a newcomer
would try to fix two bugs per month he would make it into the bugs
statistics[1] after one years.  I bet there are more than 24 easy
targets at belonging to the Debian Med team[2].

> I think that the main problem is that I did not manage to document the workflow
> on time before reducing my activity.  Otherwise, I think that it works fine.
> Nevertheless, there may be changes in the future, for instance to harmonise
> with DEP 14.

I think the latter should be approached since it is documented by
nature.

In short:  Just relax and care about your family.  I hope for more bug
fixers and will think about methods to strengthen the awareness that we
need some more action here.

[1] http://blends.debian.net/liststats/bugs_debian-med.png
[2] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?maint=debian-med-packaging@lists.alioth.debian.org