Re: [MoM] Re: kmer-tools

Hi, Andreas,

On السبت  9 أيار 2015 15:13, Andreas Tille wrote:
Hi Afif,

Yes, I need help. I've done some more reading and the situation is that:

- upstream uses an apparently modified version of the random number
generator mt19937ar [1]
- The developers of mt19937ar have a whole suite of implementations
[2-3], and only some of them appear to be in Debian.
- mt19937ar is apparently not one of those versions that are in
debian, but given that it is modified anyway, I'm not sure what
should be done.

Should I just leave the included copy in there?

This is the kind of questions that could be thrown at the
debian-mentors@lists.debian.org list.  On the other hand for the moment
we might go with the changed code copy.  Please document your research
results (= the text above) in a file debian/README.source.  This will
save other people some work once somebody might consider doing the
removal of the code.

Done.

For kazlib, I have a slight concern. The version in Debian is newer
than what was bundled in the source (not by much: it looks like 1.21
vs 1.20), but I have seen while grepping the kmer source comments
like "My hacked kazlib returns pointers". Should I rely on the
package's tests to pick up and potential problems resulting from
this?

From my point of view the tests are designed to reproduce expected
results.  A software should not break if a depencency is upgraded.  The
later is a totally normal thing and happens all the time.  So if you do
not have any strong reasons to assume that the newer versions might
create any trouble I think this is OK.

I was concerned more about potential modifications of the bundled code than the version upgrade alone, but I think you are right in that the test suite should pick up any errors resulting from this.

Thanks for your work on this

Of course. I myself would like to use this package.

About the shared/static library issue. I looked through the Debian Policy Manual again and came across the section about static libraries (Section 8.3) [1]. The exceptions listed there look like they match this package's situation. Should I just keep the static libraries as they are for early versions of this package?

Thanks and regards
Afif

1. https://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-sharedlibs.html#s-sharedlibs-static

--