Re: [MoM] Re: kmer-tools

Hi Afif,

On Sat, May 09, 2015 at 03:34:22AM -0700, Afif Elghraoui wrote:
> >>- Remove convenience copies of packaged dependencies (via
> >>get-orig-source) and modify the build system (using quilt patches)
> >>to use existing Debian packages for them
>
> I did this for kazlib.

Fine.

> The other dependency seems to be a strange
> case. It is mt19937ar[1] (I'm not 100% if this is the correct link,
> but I believe it is), which I thought was in Debian as the package
> libghc-mersenne-random-dev [2], but that looks to be a different
> implementation. I still need to look into this more, but if you know
> anything offhand about this kind of situation, that would help speed
> things up for me. In the kmer upstream source, it is the directory
> libutil/mt19937ar.

If you need help on this please state explicitly.  Otherwise I'd wait
for further reports of yours, OK?

> Also, for quilt, I saw in the group policy to add some rules for quilt:
>
> include /usr/share/quilt/quilt.make

Uhhhh, oooooh, nooo.  Thanks for pointing this up.  I deleted the
deprecated part from policy.  If you use debian/source/format
3.0 (quilt) this is not needed or rather should not be used at all.

> Am I supposed to add quilt as a build-dependency?

Definitely not.  Sorry for misguiding you by outdated text.

> Without these
> lines, the build seems to work properly. I see that the patches get
> applied appropriately before compilation.

... which happens due to the source format.

> >Makes sense as discussed previously.
>
> I should be done with this for now.

In any case I have added kmer and libkmer-dev to the bio and the bio-dev
task respectively.

> Thanks for the link. I was thinking more along the lines of using
> help2man's feature of taking include files (*.h2m) in order to
> generate everything within debian/rules in fewer lines, but it's
> very helpful to see other ways of doing it.

Finally its a matter of trying and taste what way might fit the problem
best.

> And thank you for your help. Your links have saved me a lot of time
> hunting for good examples.

That's exactly the matter of MoM:  Helping newcomers to lower the
entrance barrier.