Re: Updating the fis-gtm package to V6.2-000

Hi Thorsten and Andreas,

On 10/09/14 07:37, Andreas Tille wrote:
Hi Thorsten,

On Thu, Oct 09, 2014 at 12:26:16PM +0200, Thorsten Alteholz wrote:
Hmm, strictly speaking the bug is in 6.1-000 and won't be fixed by
uploading 6.2-000. I think the bug should not be assigned to package
fis-gtm but rather fis-gtm-6.1-000 (and of course be fixed in
fis-gtm-6.2-000 as well)
Hmmm, the affected fis-gtm-6.1-000 will vanish from Debian mirror, after
fis-gtm-6.2-000 will be accepted.
fis-gtm in version 6.1-000 will vanish after upload of fis-gtm in
version 6.2-000.
But src:fis-gtm currently creates bin:fis-gtm-6.1-000 and will
create bin:fis-gtm-6.2-000 after the upload.
Yes.

Wasn't the reason for
creating the fis-gtm meta package to have different versions in the
archive? Otherwise it wouldn't make sense to have the version within
the package name.
The agreement was that a user could pick some older binary package from
snapshot.debian.org which can be installed in parallel to the versioned
package.  Or the user can install fis-gtm-6.2-000 in addition to an
older version - but the older version vanishes from the archive.  At
least I have understood it this way.  I have no idea whether this makes
really sense - I'm no fis-gtm user.  However, we agreed that for a low
popcon package it is not possible to maintain several versions
officially.

Does this clarify my idea why fixing the licensing issue in
fis-gtm-6.2-000 would be sufficient?

[amul:11] We have two options at this point regarding fis-gtm-6.1-000. Withdraw the version or update it. We - I, Bhaskar and a few other GT.M developers - are fine with either. If someone could point me to a doc to show how to fix the prior version, I can fix it. My google-fu isn't turning anything up.

[amul:11] I looked through https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/developers-reference for the steps to withdraw the package (https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/developers-reference/pkgs.html#removing-pkgs) and close the bug (https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/developers-reference/pkgs.html#upload-bugfix). Is that what I should do?

thanks,
Amul