Re: Updating the fis-gtm package to V6.2-000

Hi Thorsten,

On Thu, Oct 09, 2014 at 12:26:16PM +0200, Thorsten Alteholz wrote:
> >>Hmm, strictly speaking the bug is in 6.1-000 and won't be fixed by
> >>uploading 6.2-000. I think the bug should not be assigned to package
> >>fis-gtm but rather fis-gtm-6.1-000 (and of course be fixed in
> >>fis-gtm-6.2-000 as well)
> >
> >Hmmm, the affected fis-gtm-6.1-000 will vanish from Debian mirror, after
> >fis-gtm-6.2-000 will be accepted.
>
> fis-gtm in version 6.1-000 will vanish after upload of fis-gtm in
> version 6.2-000.
> But src:fis-gtm currently creates bin:fis-gtm-6.1-000 and will
> create bin:fis-gtm-6.2-000 after the upload.

Yes.

> Wasn't the reason for
> creating the fis-gtm meta package to have different versions in the
> archive? Otherwise it wouldn't make sense to have the version within
> the package name.

The agreement was that a user could pick some older binary package from
snapshot.debian.org which can be installed in parallel to the versioned
package.  Or the user can install fis-gtm-6.2-000 in addition to an
older version - but the older version vanishes from the archive.  At
least I have understood it this way.  I have no idea whether this makes
really sense - I'm no fis-gtm user.  However, we agreed that for a low
popcon package it is not possible to maintain several versions
officially.

Does this clarify my idea why fixing the licensing issue in
fis-gtm-6.2-000 would be sufficient?