Re: Updating the fis-gtm package to V6.2-000

Hi Bhaskar,

On Thu, 2 Oct 2014, Bhaskar, K.S wrote:
[KSB] Those *openssl* files are versions of the reference implementation of
the plugin compiled with #include, #if, etc. configured to call call
OpenSSL.  They are not actually linked to OpenSSL or other libraries -
linking happens dynamically.

Oh, come on, why should it matter whether you are linking at compile time or at run time? In both cases the result is a combined binary.

kbhaskar@bhaskark:~$ ls -l
/usr/lib/fis-gtm/V6.2-000_x86_64/plugin/lib*crypt*
/usr/lib/fis-gtm/V6.2-000_x86_64/plugin/libgtmcrypt_openssl_AES256CFB.so
-r-xr-xr-x 1 root root 40056 Sep 18 15:45
/usr/lib/fis-gtm/V6.2-000_x86_64/plugin/libgtmcrypt_openssl_BLOWFISHCFB.so
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root    33 Sep 18 15:45
kbhaskar@bhaskark:~$

Yes and when you look with ldd at libgtmcrypt_openssl* you see that libssl is needed.

Most of the discussion of license interaction between copyleft and
non-copyleft licenses at en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_General_Public_License
pertain to software used under non-copyleft licenses requesting services
from (I deliberately avoid the use of "linking to") software used under
non-copyleft licenses.  In this case, we have the reverse - a copyleft
software (GT.M) requesting services from non-copyleft software (OpenSSL).
Regardless, it appears that there are different schools of thought on this.

Hmm, so why do you think that almost all GPL software that links to OpenSSL has a special OpenSSL exception? I am afraid such discussions have
been made frequently ...

 *  Include a statement in the README that says something like: As dynamic
    linking by the reference implementation of the plugin to software such
    as cryptographic libraries that are released under non-copyleft licenses
    is not considered to create a derivative work, there is no interaction
    between the license used for GT.M and those of cryptographic libraries.
 *  Remove any claim of copyright from the reference implementation of the
    plugin (i.e., place the reference implementation in the public domain).
 *  Remove the precompiled versions of the reference implementation of the
    plugin from the distribution and include only the source of the plugin
    (as I noted earlier, the GT.M binary distribution includes source code
    for the reference implementation of the plugin).  Use the post-install
    script to compile the reference implementation of the plugin.

Thorsten, please let me know what you think.

I don't understand why you don't want to go the easy way? As you consider to remove the license in 2), why don't you just add the exception to your license text? Otherwise the last proposal would be fine.

 Thorsten