Re: Updating the fis-gtm package to V6.2-000

On Mon, Oct 6, 2014, at 11:12 AM, Bhaskar, K.S wrote:

> On 10/06/2014 07:55 AM, Thorsten Alteholz wrote:
> > Hi Bhaskar,
> >
> > On Thu, 2 Oct 2014, Bhaskar, K.S wrote:
> >> [KSB] Those *openssl* files are versions of the reference
> >> implementation of
> >> the plugin compiled with #include, #if, etc. configured to call call
> >> OpenSSL.  They are not actually linked to OpenSSL or other libraries -
> >> linking happens dynamically.
>
> [KSB2] <…snip…>
>
> >>  *  Include a statement in the README that says something like: As
> >> dynamic
> >>     linking by the reference implementation of the plugin to software
> >> such
> >>     as cryptographic libraries that are released under non-copyleft
> >> licenses
> >>     is not considered to create a derivative work, there is no
> >> interaction
> >>     between the license used for GT.M and those of cryptographic
> >> libraries.
> >>  *  Remove any claim of copyright from the reference implementation of
> >> the
> >>     plugin (i.e., place the reference implementation in the public
> >> domain).
> >>  *  Remove the precompiled versions of the reference implementation of
> >> the
> >>     plugin from the distribution and include only the source of the
> >> plugin
> >>     (as I noted earlier, the GT.M binary distribution includes source
> >> code
> >>     for the reference implementation of the plugin).  Use the
> >> post-install
> >>     script to compile the reference implementation of the plugin.
> >>
> >> Thorsten, please let me know what you think.
> >
> > I don't understand why you don't want to go the easy way? As you
> > consider to remove the license in 2), why don't you just add the
> > exception to your license text? Otherwise the last proposal would be fine.
>
> [KSB2] Adding a license exception to the COPYING file would probably
> require me to go through Legal and that may add delays that increase the
> risk of pushing us past the deadline.  However, the reference
> implementation of the plugin is just a minuscule part of GT.M, and
> removing a claim of copyright specifically to the reference
> implementation of the plugin is something that we can do easily without
> requiring approval.
>
> Would removing the claim of copyright to the reference implementation of
> the plugin solve the issue?  Thanks.
>
> Regards
> -- Bhaskar

Bhaskar,
As discussed, the fis-gtm package no longer includes the reference encryption plugin libraries. I committed those changes and fis-gtm 6.2-000 is ready for upload.

Andreas,
Kindly upload fis-gtm... again.

Andreas/Thorsten,
Earlier today we came up with a non-license changing way for people to use the reference encryption plugin libraries. If we built all of the plugins as part of the installation fis-gtm or another separate package. Does building at install time solve the distribution license conflict?

Note that the way we package GT.M today, the sources for the plugins are included. It's up to the end user to decide what to do with them.

thanks,
Amul