Re: [MoM] Pristine Tar Updated and Uploaded

On Thu, Jul 03, 2014 at 05:42:25PM +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:
> Le Thu, Jul 03, 2014 at 08:38:24AM +0200, Andreas Tille a écrit :
> >
> > The problem in my eyes is that debcheckout only works for just uploaded
> > packages.  In MoM we usually are dealing with not yet uploaded packages
> > and MoM students get the policy as main document at their hand.  So
> > there is definitely a hole in our documentation that should be closed.
>
> Hi Andreas,
>
> just as a side note, and not to prevent from documenting alternatives: debcheckout
> also works with URLs.
>
> $ debcheckout --git-track='*' git+ssh://git.debian.org/git/debian-med/bwa.git

Ahh, OK.  Prehaps I ignored this since the advantage of not needing to
remember the URL is lost in this case I was ignoring this.  I also tend
to forget options like "--git-track='*'" since I always expect something
to work "sensible" (whatever sensible might mean, in this case track
"everything I need") without specifying extra options.

> In the end, perhaps the main problem is that git-buildpackage is not attempting
> to use the pristine-tar branch when it is not tracked…

This could possibly be the reason why I was way more lucky with
gdb-clone rather than debcheckout.  I admit that I'm not really
opinionated what we should suggest newcomers - but it should be better
than currently which obviously was not good enough.

Ian, feel free to raise your opinion what would be the most helpful
phrase in the docs for you since you are a sample of the target
audience.