Re: [MoM] Pristine Tar Updated and Uploaded

Le Wed, Jul 02, 2014 at 08:37:45PM +0200, Andreas Tille a écrit :

> The best way to get a valid clone is to use
>
>    gbp-clone ssh://git.debian.org/git/debian-med/openemr.git
>
> This will give you *all* needed branches.  I just realised that this is
> not documented in our policy (which is bad - I'm a bit to tired today to fix
> it ... I'd be happy if any volunteer would beat me in injecting this)

Hi Andreas and everybody,

the reason why I have not added gbp-clone previously is that I was hoping that
we could do everything with debcheckout.  Here is what our group policy contains
at the moment.

    To clone and follow every branch of a git repository.

    When the package is already in the Debian archive, you can use the debcheckout
    command with its --git-track='*' option.

    To update the upstream, master and pristine-tar branches at once, use the gbp-pull.

The difference with gbp-clone is that debcheckout --git-track='*' will track
all the branches.  Note that it will not change how much disk space is taken by
the repository.  Some of our Git repositories contain additional branches, for
instance for Stable or Experimental uploads, backports, PPA versions, or to
store meta-information, in particular build logs.

The problem with gbp-pull is that unlike debcheckout, it does not discover the
VCS URL of a package.  This said, one could call both in a single one-liner,
like in the following.

    gbp-clone $(debcheckout -da $PACKAGE | grep url | cut -f2)

I was asking in #625940 to make debcheckout more convenient by tracking all
branches by default, but this was refused with the argument that debcheckout is
"intended to be a simple wrapper around $vcs to easily get the development
source of a package, not much more."  I am therefore tempted to move away from
debcheckout, since its targeted user base seems to be more users than Debian
developers.

Ideally, I would prefer that our group policy would advertise either
debcheckout or gbp-pull, but not both, so that we do not confuse the reader
with alternatives.  And the advantage of debcheckout is that it also work with
Subversion.  But maybe I am over-doing…  What do you think ?

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy
Debian Med packaging team,