Re: [MoM] Pristine Tar Updated and Uploaded

Andreas - I think I didn't understand exactly what git import-orig was doing originally.  I had to initially checkout the master, upstream, and pristine-tar branch before the command would work (I guess you need to have a local copy ... it won't just work on the remote copy).

I tried to import it with:
 iankarlwallace@debian-dev:~/alioth/openemr-4.1.2p7$ git import-orig --pristine-tar ../openemr_4.1.2p7+dfsg.orig.tar.gz
What is the upstream version? [4.1.2p7+dfsg]
gbp:info: Importing '../openemr_4.1.2p7+dfsg.orig.tar.gz' to branch 'upstream'...
gbp:info: Source package is openemr
gbp:info: Upstream version is 4.1.2p7+dfsg
warning: pristine-gz cannot reproduce build of ../openemr_4.1.2p7+dfsg.orig.tar.gz; storing 65% size diff in delta
(Please consider filing a bug report so the delta size can be improved.)
pristine-tar: committed openemr_4.1.2p7+dfsg.orig.tar.gz.delta to branch pristine-tar
gbp:info: Merging to 'master'
gbp:info: Successfully imported version 4.1.2p7+dfsg of ../openemr_4.1.2p7+dfsg.orig.tar.gz
iankarlwallace@debian-dev:~/alioth/openemr-4.1.2p7$

Not sure what is the meaning of "storing 65% size of diff in delta" maybe there's too many changes with the removal for the phpmyadmin code.

I will re-compress in the future with xz compression instead of gz.  Didn't know it did a better job.

iankarlwallace@debian-dev:~/alioth/openemr-4.1.2p7$ git push --all
Counting objects: 7, done.
Compressing objects: 100% (6/6), done.
Writing objects:  57% (4/7), 11.54 MiB | 66.00 KiB/s
Writing objects: 100% (7/7), 25.99 MiB | 66.00 KiB/s, done.
Total 7 (delta 1), reused 0 (delta 0)
remote: Sending notification emails to: debian-med-commit@lists.alioth.debian.org
remote: Sending notification emails to: debian-med-commit@lists.alioth.debian.org
remote: Sending notification emails to: debian-med-commit@lists.alioth.debian.org
To git+ssh://iankarlwallace-guest@scm.alioth.debian.org/git/debian-med/openemr.git
   e3fec2a..06814f7  master -> master
   8d6b7ff..3b307ef  pristine-tar -> pristine-tar
   eb4caa9..a1289d0  upstream -> upstream

Hopefully you can know attempt a build.  Lintian still complains about a *lot* of things but picking them off one at a time.  So if I get this correct each time I get a new tar from upstream I have to do this same process.  1) Download the upstream tar, 2) create the orig.tar.xz using the mk-origtargz command, 3) import to git with git-import-orig --pristine-tar, 4) commit all the changes in master, upstream, pristine-tar.

Back to fixing lintian issues.

ian

On Sun, Jun 29, 2014 at 11:39 PM, Andreas Tille <andreas@an3as.eu> wrote:
Hi Ian,

On Sun, Jun 29, 2014 at 09:54:55PM -0700, Ian Wallace wrote:
> Andreas - I can't thank you enough for helping with suggestions and emails
> to fix the package.  I downloaded the changelog, copyright, etc.  Here's
> what I did to upload the pristine tar:
>
> While on the 'master' branch in the openemr dir I did:
> mk-origtargz --repack ../openemr-4.1.2p7.tar.gz
>
> Which produced:
> ../openemr-4.1.2p7+dfsg.orig.tar.gz

You could also add the --compress xz option to pristine-tar which would
give you a better compression.  However, I'd recommend to leave it for
the moment as is since it will mots probably not the last tarball we
need to inject.  Simply consider xz compression for the future.

> This stripped out the phpmyadmin files, I then:
> git rm -r phpmyadmin

As far as I know this step is not needed since the import-orig step does
the removal.  But it surely does not harm thought.

> on mater branch and committed the changes.
> git checkout upstream
> git import-orig --pristine-tar ../openemr_4.1.2p7+dfsg.orig.tar.gz

Hmmmm, as said previously I would not consider myself as git /
git-buildpackage expert but I think you coule (should ?) do this
step in branch master.

> git commit -m "Adding upstream 4.1.2p7+dfsg."

At least at my side I never had to do a manual commit -
`git import-orig` should do this for you.

> git push

The remote branch is lacking the according metadata:

openemr(master) $ git checkout pristine-tar
openemr(pristine-tar) $ ls
openemr_4.1.2.orig.tar.gz.delta  openemr_4.1.2.orig.tar.gz.id

May be you should try

   git push --all

??

> Things appear to build now with:
> debuild clean; debuild

Since the pristine-tar metadata is missing I can not reproduce this via
git-buildpackage but it is good that you can do this step.

> Which produces the usual errors/warnings for _javascript_ libraries without
> source, etc.  At least the phpmyadmin files are no longer in the repository.

:-)

> Tomorrow I will start working on correcting some of the other
> errors/warnings.
>
> Let me know if this is not the correct method.  I am unclear as to what
> should be in the 'pristine-tar' branch.  Was that where I was supposed to
> upload things?  I have to admit this is the first time I've done this so it
> seems a bit confusing.

Usually you do not need to do anything manually with pristine-tar.  Since
nothing endedt up in the remote repository please for a check do the same
as me above and

   git checkout pristine-tar
   ls

to see if at least your local repository is OK.  If this is the case you
can probably also `git push` from here.  If everything goes smoothly than
a simple

   git import-orig --pristine-tar <origtar>
   git push [--all]

should be perfectly sufficient.

Remark:  The metadata in the pristine-tar branch are needed to enable
git-buildpackage creating a md5sum identical tarball from the upstream
code inside the git archive.