Re: Q-Leap Networks contributes to Debian Med

Hi Roland,

On Wed, Apr 16, 2014 at 10:36:26PM +0200, rf@q-leap.de wrote:
> this is just a short intro to let you know that Q-Leap Networks, the
> company behind Qlustar (a Debian/Ubuntu based HPC/Storage Cluster
> solution) is now entering a closer relationship with the Debian Med
> project. I am Roland Fehrenbacher, theoretical physicist
> (high-temperature superconductivity)

Seems we physicists will take over this topic now. ;-)

> and founder of Q-Leap Networks,
> which some of you may recall from Tony's presentation of Qlustar at the
> recent Debian Med Sprint. Two weeks ago, Steffen took me along to an NGS
> meeting in Rostock and on the way back - a long train ride through 3/4
> of Germany - I decided that Q-Leap shall put some tangible effort to its
> website promise to support Debian Med.

We are really happy about your interest.

> The initial focus of our effort will be on packaging, i.e. long-term
> maintenance of:
>  + mpiblast: http://www.mpiblast.org/
>  + frealign: http://grigoriefflab.janelia.org/frealign
>  + eman2: http://blake.bcm.edu/emanwiki/
>  + relion: http://www2.mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk/relion/index.php/Main_Page
> and we will then see how this develops towards data management and
> cloud/cluster setups.

Sounds like an interesting list.

> We also have a particular interest in backporting to Wheezy as one of our
> officially supported platforms, the other is Ubuntu Precise. New to
> preparing packages for Debian main, we are still in the learning phase
> of all the ever developing tools and web sites out there and how
> to match those best with our internal routine.

You might be interested in

   https://wiki.debian.org/DebianMed/MoM

I'm fine with starting right now (modulo some real life absence for the
next couple of days but for sure I'll read my mails sporadically).

> I am very curious about the kinds of interactions that will develop over
> the mailing list and look forward to possibly meet some more of you in
> person at your next Sprint. On a side note: Q-Leap employs a Debian
> Maintainer (Goswin v. Brederlow) since many years.

Ahhh, I guess if Goswin is close to your desk there will not be to much
need for MoM - but the offer remains anyway.

Great to have you and Q-Leap in the boat