Re: VistA packaging : vista-foia : First review

On Mon, Feb 3, 2014 at 1:48 AM, Andreas Tille <andreas@an3as.eu> wrote:
Did you noticed

$ LANG=C apt-cache search xdelta | grep ^x
xdelta - A diff utility which works with binary files
xdelta3 - Diff utility which works with binary files

... so probably there would have been a shortcut from installing xdelta3
from upstream source - but again ... thanks for your intense work on
this!

Ah !,
I missed that entirely.

The irony of working on a packaging task,
and missing the option of.... installing a package.      :-)

> Suggestion A:
> ===========

> [DEFAULT]
> pristine-tar = False

Admittedly I would not like this.

Ok, we scratch this option then.

> This probably would have to be brought to the maintainers of pristine-tar...

We should in any case report the result of your analyses to the
maintainers of pristine-tar.  Please file a bug report against xdelta
by either including your analysis or linking to your analysis mail in
the archive of the mailing list.  (Please check before BTS if this is
a known problem).

Thanks for finding the existing bug reports on xdelta:

That seems to lead us to promoting the use of xdelta3 in pristine-tar.

In addition you could file a bug to pristine-tar maintainers to use
xdelta3 instead of xdelta to avoid the problem you reported in
#<bugnumber>.

Considering that some other packages are affected:

 $ apt-cache rdepends xdelta
xdelta
Reverse Depends:
  debdelta
  pristine-tar
  vzdump
  syncmaildir

the maintainers might (or might not?) be kept in the row as well.

Yes, I'll track whether the pristine-tar developers
have looked already at this issue.

On the bright side, it looks like it will be an easy fix...

but...
have a software developer ever been wrong about that ?    :-)

>    I'm probably missing other good alternatives.

You missed the obvious one to file a bug report. ;-)

Yeap, I was second guessing,
in case I had missed something obvious.

I'll look more into pristine-tar.

     Thanks