Re: VistA packaging : vista-foia : First review

On Sun, Feb 2, 2014 at 4:54 AM, Andreas Tille <andreas@an3as.eu> wrote:
> xdelta: warning: no matches found in from file, patch will apply without it
>
> error: excessively large binary delta for
> /tmp/pristine-tar.ETnVfcsL8q/origtarball
>
> (Please consider filing a bug report.)
>
> pristine-tar: failed to generate delta
>
> gbp:error: Couldn't commit to 'pristine-tar' with upstream 'upstream':
> /usr/bin/pristine-tar returned 1

I have not seen this error message (did you filed a bug as it said)?

When I was running into trouble with larger tarballs previously it
helped to use

    TMPDIR=/var/tmp git import-orig --pristine-tar <tarball>

-----------------------

Andreas,

I'm trying your suggestion now, and also reading more
about git-import-orig.

Looking at some pre-reported bugs with similar messages:

It seems to be, that what goes into the pristine-tar branch is
the tar.gz of a "diff" between the content of the tar.gz file that
we present, and the content of the upstream branch.

http://honk.sigxcpu.org/projects/git-buildpackage/manual-html/man.gbp.import.orig.html

So, in our case, that tar should actually be empty, or close to empty.

I may have some mismatch of directories that led git-import-orig
to think that the pristine tar file is entirely different from the content
of upstream....   I'm looking into that now.

To answer your question about large files in the tar:

                   Yes, it does have some large files.

Mostly the *.zwr files, that contain the MUMPS Globals. they
get very large.  For example, 26 of them are 64Mb each,

https://github.com/OSEHRA/VistA-M/tree/master/Packages/Lexicon%20Utility/Globals

In total there are 2,933 of those .zwr files.
The majority are rather small, but... it adds up in the final tar file.

Regarding the difference in behavior of git-buildpackage,
one potential reason might be the values in the configuration files
http://honk.sigxcpu.org/projects/git-buildpackage/manual-html/man.gbp.conf.html

I don't have a gdp.conf file in my home directory,
so the one that is being used is probably:

                   /etc/git-buildpackage/gbp.conf

and currently the only non-commented out lines it has, are:

[DEFAULT]

[buildpackage]

[import-orig]

[import-dsc]

[dch]

[pq]

[clone]

[pull]

[create-remote-repo]

[remote-config pkg-libvirt]
remote-url-pattern = ssh://git.debian.org/git/pkg-libvirt/%(pkg)s
template-dir = /srv/alioth.debian.org/chroot/home/groups/pkg-libvirt/git-template

 I'll keep exploring...

       Luis