New version of filo or what git workflow for software without release tarball (Was: FASTX-Toolkit on GitHub)

Hi Charles,

in my effort to update long unattended packages I stumbled upon filo and
I noticed that there is a patch in upstream Git that is not incorporated
in our package.  IMHO the fact that we have no means to get automated
notification about new upstream changes (the change was "2 years ago)
makes this approach flawed but it seems in this specific case we will not
see more updates any time soon.

I fully quoted your mail about htslib because we have a similar case
where we could simply rely on a Git clone rather than a release tarball.
If I should upgrade the package I would "simply" (probably my workflow
is not that simple) write a get-orig-source target, creating an upstream
tarball and would inject it as pristine-tar.  This would strictly follow
the workflow described in policy.  But it would be OK for me as well if
somebody else would do some more fitting way / give some detailed advise
I could follow to try new things.

[1] https://github.com/arq5x/filo/commit/3c9fb01843d797c64be578ecbcd1be683cfe245a