Re: FASTX-Toolkit on GitHub.

Hi,

On Mon, Nov 11, 2013 at 08:45:09AM +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:

> Indeed, one would need to download it using apt-get source, or from the
> upstream system for browsing Git repositories (here, GitHub).  Pristine-tar
> brought us as much pain as gain, so I am tempted to go without.  Nevertheless,
> it is totally conceivable to maintain a pristine-tar branch (perhaps without
> git-buildpackage).

I admit I have no problem with pristine-tar any more since I
consequently use

    gbp-clone
    gbp-pull

which updates all needed branches.  Probably this hint should make its
way into policy as well.

> In the absence of a upstream source archive, it is possible
> to run dpkg-buildpakcage anyway, either without building the source package or
> using a native format.

I think using native format is a very bad suggestion.  None of our
target packages we obtain from somewhere else qualifies for native
format and we should never encourage people to use this.

> This is why in the case of fastx-toolkit and
> libgtextutils I have reverted the source format to 1.0, which is more flexible
> here.

Uhmmm, please don't if you do not have strong reasons.  In how far is
1.0 more flexible?  What can you approach what is not possible with
3.0.  You might have noticed that I'm corrently polishing packages
which were never touched for a long time (>= 3) and I always switch
to format 3.0.  What good reasons might exist to revert this IMHO
quite convinient step to 3.0?

> > > Currently, the package fails to build: changes upstream now let the hardening
> > > flags be passed to the compiler, which triggers fatal errors.  I reported the
> > > issue at the following URL.  I am sure that patches are very welcome.
> > >
> > >     https://github.com/agordon/fastx_toolkit/issues/1
> > >     https://github.com/agordon/libgtextutils/issues/1
> >
> > I might give it a try if the repository is in alioth and I can commit.
>
> This is now fixed upstream, thanks.

Good.

> I will replace the repositories on Alioth once a revision is tagged upstream.

It seems sercives {git,svn}.debian.org are not availaible currently and
the dirs /svn and /git are not mounted at alioth.debian.org. :-(