Re: MIA - Software for medical image alaysis

Hi Gert,

On Thu, Nov 22, 2012 at 08:48:48PM +0100, Gert Wollny wrote:
> >  gerddie-guest	Gert Wollny
> >
> >on Alioth - perhaps an old yccount you might have forgot.
> Indeed, I didn't remeber that one. First I'll try to recover the
> password. The problem is, I don't know which email address I was
> using. I doesn't seem to be my current work address.

I guess asking admins to delete the account might be a shortcut to a
solution of the issue.

> There's another thing I overlooked - MIA uses plug-ins similar to
> ocatave using modules *.oct, I decided that it might be better to
> name the modules *.mia to avoid that every platform has its own code
> path for searching these libs. The problem is, dh_strip doesn't
> recognice these files and leaves them unstripped. I've seen this
> issue discussed with regard to octave and a bug report regarding Go
> modules, all unresolved and quite old. Hence, my solution is to
> patch the dh_strip script to consider the *.mia files and include
> this patched version in the debian build script, but since my
> knowledge of perl is close to zero, this is really a one-time hack.
> You know of a better solution?

Sorry, I have not dealt with such kind of issues.  Probably my first
action would be to ping the bug reports you were mentioning above.
I'd guess it should not be terribly hard to patch dh_strip in a way
that it could regard some extra specified extensions.

Another stupid hack would be to name the files in question *.so in the
first place and once dh_strip has done its work renaming the files.
Something like

override_dh_strip:
	dh_strip
	for miafile in `find . <something>` ; do mv $miafile `basename $miafile .so`.mia ; done

might do the trick.

> I just confirmed that it doesn't - the debian package provided
> version of jquery is v1.7.1, but the doxygen generated script claims
> to be v1.3.2.  In addition, I've scanned the doxygen source code,
> and it creates different scripts depending on the Doxygen htmlgen
> options (doxygen/src/htmlgen.cpp) which leaves the question which of
> the two possible versions is provided by debian. Apart from that the
> Doxygen tarball distributes the same compressed javascript code
> (upstream and in at least in Ubuntu 12.04) as of version 1.8.1.2. I
> just checked, it seems that doxygen 1.8.2 (which is in experimental)
> uses the 1.7.1 jquery.
> So in light of being able to backport the package, it would be
> better to keep the script, considering the RC bug thingy, I would
> consider to add the uncompressed version of the script (if it is
> still available) to the source tarball in a contrib directory if
> doxygen is < 1.8.2, and otherwise use the package version. Then
> again there is the danger that doxygen will not sync to ne new
> jquery release at the same time debian provides a new package.

I'm not fully sure what to recommend here.  Perhaps you might backup
your opinion at debian-mentors list.  I'm fine with whatever you do and
ftpmaster will accept.