Re: MIA - Software for medical image alaysis

On Fri, 16 Nov 2012, Gert Wollny wrote:
> at our Lab we continue to develop some software for medical image
> processing that might be of interest to be included in the
> debian-med.

and probably neuro.debian.net if you are interested in us providing
backports not only for Ubuntus (as PPAs are doing) but also for Debian
releases

> I already put some effort to create debian packages that pass most
> of the lintian tests.

that is great -- ideally they should be completely lintian-free for
Debian proper upload. I guess if you seek help for particular
problems/questions -- we could help here

> The packages are available at an Ubuntu PPA:

> https://launchpad.net/~gert-die/+archive/ppa-mia

> The software already packaged are:

>   libnlopt
> http://ab-initio.mit.edu/wiki/index.php/NLopt
> (A required library that doesn't seem to be in debian yet),
seems needing an update in Debian, since upstream has 2.3 while Debian
carries 2.2.4+dfsg-2 . I have filed a wishlist bugreport against the
package

>   vistaio
> a modified version of the vista library that only provides IO
> functions with some added data types. (a replacement for
> libvista2-dev: http://debian-med.alioth.debian.org/tasks/imaging-dev#prospective-debs
> )

hm... were those changes sent upstream to vistaio developers or they
cannot be generally adopted upstream?

>   mia
> the main library + comman line tools for image processing
>   pymia
> partial python bindings for the mia libraries, the package supports
> only one python version, this would probably need to be fixed.

ideally -- yes

>   mialm
> a support library for a surface rendering and landmark picking
> software

in general imho recommended way for sponsorsed uploads is to
upload source packages to mentors.debian.org since it provides
additional checks etc, then uploads get sponsored.

Also may be debian-med hardcore team would advise on keeping debian
packaging within debian-med VCS to allow easier centralized packaging
management.

> The software packages that are not yet available as packages (but
> I'm on it):

>   viewitgui
> a visualization tool for results obtained by using the image
> registration algorithms implemented in mia

>   mialmpick
> the visualization software

> With the exception of libnlopt, the source code for all these
> packages is hosted at http://mia.sourceforge.net

> Any hints, advices, etc where I should go from here are very welcome.

I guess reasonable way to start would be to clarify the situation with
vistaio library...  meanwhile working on packaging the rest of the
tools... double check the licensing of the code base (i.e. if no
conflicting licenses and if everything is listed under
debian/copyright), upload source packages to mentors.debian.org
when ready...

> PS: Now I read that the prefered way to do packaging is on
> git.debian.org, but is seems debian.org is down, so I can't get
> access to the policy documents :(

apt-get install debian-policy

for me debian.org is live and beating
--
Yaroslav O. Halchenko
Postdoctoral Fellow,   Department of Psychological and Brain Sciences